Monday, April 30, 2012

Color Challenge Peach Block

I'm participating in the Color Challenge over at 15 Minutes Play. Short version, each week we're given a "challenging" color to use in a block design. Be sure to check out all of the other blocks shown there!
This week's color: Peach. 


I don't even like peach fruit or flavor. 
I struggled with this color and kept telling myself that I did NOT like peach. 

In fact, I had trouble finding peach fabric in my stash!  First I found an orange-ish peach and made this pile of fabrics. 


But I just wasn't feeling it. 

As I looked for another peach, and for colors to go with it (because nothing seemed to be working, probably aided by my anti-peach attitude of the moment!), I remembered a time when I had used peach in a color scheme and loved it: my wedding flowers. 


I had combined peach with a darker coral and a perwinkle blue (which was the dress color as well). Inspired by this photo, I dug through my stash again and recreated that palette.

From those fabrics, I made this:

and then this:


I got over my anti-peach feelings and I like the cheeriness of this block. Plus, it brings back fun wedding memories! While it helps that I ultimately chose a softer peach to work with, I had trouble successfully pairing peach with many choices, though I do love it with the periwinkle. I thought it would go well with green, but not any that I could find. 
I'm noticing that some of my blocks fall back onto the fail-safe color wheel art class color concepts--complementary blue and orange here, green/purple/orange triad for avocado.
To see my previous block, mauve, click here.
To see my next block(s) click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment