Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Dino Baby Quilt

June is the service project month for the Kalamazoo Log Cabin Quilt Guild, and the project was baby quilts. I'd known about the deadline for quite a while, but due to a few out-of-town long weekends in May/June and my general habit of last-minute-ness, I started my quilt the day before the meeting. 

So it needed to be quick! I went with simple strips--I'd purchased this dinosaur fabric (Oh Boy! from Free spirit, several years ago) and coordinating prints back in 2011, and this seemed like the perfect time to finally use it! 

I pieced the top on Monday and spent a few hours on Tuesday quilting it. I decided to stitch a different motif on each type of strip. You can see a few of them close up here:

And then you can see them even better on the back.

A great quilt to practice on, and I think it turned out cute. Plus...I still have enough fabric left to make a second one! Now I just need a deadline, preferably a tight one, for motivation! :)

I machine stitched the binding on one hour before the meeting started. The group collected something like 130 quilts for two organizations in Kalamazoo: Nurse Family Partnership and the Healthy Babies, Healthy Start Program. Here's hoping the recipients enjoy them!




7 comments:

  1. A few hours quilting it? Wow you must be quick, that would have taken me weeks. Gorgeous quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilt! I am pinning it for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stop it! You started this the day before it was due? I never could have pulled that off! Way to go! It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I love the quilting variety, and it really adds a lot of interest. Nice work! I should try a stripes quilt with the same quilting-sampler idea. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The result is great and quilting for a cause is just a part of who quilters are. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the things I'm learning about free motion quilting is that the more you practice the better you get. I like your practice project a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome quilt, Ellie! And you could make the second quilt for 100 Quilts for Kids - you can read more about it at Swim Bike Quilt, if you're not already familiar with this annual quilt drive!

    Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete