Sunday, March 9, 2014

On the design wall...

These blocks have been calling my name the last few weeks. I won them at September meeting of the Great Lakes Modern Quilt Guild (I chose the block for the online activity, and I REALLY wanted to win, so I made 2 in hopes of increasing my chances!). I had admired this block design (you can find the tutorial here, from Amy of 13 Spools) but knew I wouldn't want to make enough blocks for an entire quilt. But by getting the guild involved...and then winning the blocks... I didn't have to! Woo hoo!


Anyway, I've been trying to decide how I wanted to assemble the quilt. My original idea had been to frame each block in unequal widths of white, sort of like what you see below. 



Another option is spacing them with uniform width white sashing (my cropped blocks are not perfect here, but pretend all the blocks are the same size!).

Looking at the top photo in this post, I guess I'm not opposed to just sewing the blocks together as they are, either! What would you do with these? I can't wait to get started, especially after hearing that the winner of the blocks (wonky stars) at our January meeting had started assembling her top within a week of the meeting. Now that's impressive!



12 comments:

  1. I think the blocks need sashing to set them off from each other. And because I am trying to break out of my symmetrical, matchy-matchy mode, I vote for the wonky sashing and definitely white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the irregular sashing option. The blocks appear to be crazy-pieced anyway and so setting them with various width strips would keep with their personality. What fun blocks and congratulations to you for winning them! I guess I'll go visit that website to see their size. How fun that they aren't square!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they need the white sashing in between, too. I like the uniformity of your last photo. It balances nicely with the irregularity within the blocks themselves. Looks awesome, though. Will make a fabulous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm.... what about sashing just in columns, so they're sewn together vertically with white space inbetween?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the irregular slashing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a lucky girl ~ these are stunning!

    The irregular sashing makes them look like they're floating, which I like.

    How 'bout another idea - what if you turned evey other block a quarter turn so that the white stripes don't line up between blocks. Then sash it with the 1/4" white strip used in the blocks. It might make the quilt look like a beautiful mosaic made from tiles.

    The finished quilt is going to be fabulous ~ any way you sash it!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would use sashing - even or wonky works. Trying to get these lovelies together without sashing will cause issues with all the seams to try to match or not match! I'm thinking as a longarm quilter and some of those intersections could get rather thick and cause needle deflection. Also, they beauty of the individual blocks is lost when they are pieced together, but stand out so beautifully with sashing. I like Diane's idea of making the blocks look like part of a mosaic because that's what the blocks look like to me. Have the sashing in the blocks alternate between horizontal and vertical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the last photo.
    Beautifull blocks.
    Enjoy the making of the quilt.
    Greetings Janny S.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the last photo.
    Beautifull blocks.
    Enjoy the making of the quilt.
    Greetings Janny S.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also prefer the irregular sashing. I think it shows off the blocks and moves your eye around the quilt rather than blending together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd sew them together as they are without any sashing. I prefer the top layout with them on your design board.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look fabulous!! I've been wanting to make some with a lot of white space myself, so I vote for the won't sashing!

    ReplyDelete